Banana Milk Coffee
This delicious drink is so easy to make. It mainly contains 3 simple ingredients, milk, coffee and banana. A perfect recipe for the cold days.
- 3/4 cups brewed coffee
- 1 1/2 cups milk I used semi skimmed, see notes for vegan option
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon and nutmeg for dusting
Brew the coffee as you prefer and save ¾ cup to make the drink.
In a large flat plate, add the bananas without skin and press with a fork until a smooth paste forms.
Add the banana and clove to a medium saucepan over low heat and gradually pour half of the milk. When starts to steam, remove immediately from the heat, add the cinnamon and nutmeg, if using and stir.
Remove the clove, add the mixture to a blender and blend for 30 to 40 seconds until smooth. Add the other half cup of milk when blending.
Return the mixture to the saucepan quickly over medium heat and reheat again until steaming, stirring frequently.
Divide the hot coffee into two mugs and top with the banana milk, sprinkle more nutmeg and cinnamon and serve.
- Bananas: The best bananas for this recipe are the very ripe ones when it has large black spots all over the skin. Avoid using green unripe bananas as they taste bitter.
- Blender: Be careful when blending hot drinks as the steam pops the lid and causes burns. Hold firmly the lid with a towel or leave the small lid compartment slightly open.
- Vegan: Replace whole milk with plant milk. The best alternative is unsweetened almond milk.
- Smoothness: I like the small bits of banana in the coffee, but if you prefer, pass the banana coffee through a sieve to remove the extra banana bits.